Sunday, September 20, 2015

J-Horror: Kwaidan

While reading the series of short ghost stories, Kwaidan, I picked up a few differences between J-Horror and western gothic right away. These stories were mostly spirit based and had some type of moral center. In most western ghost stories they revolve around terror and jump-scares, but in the J-horror stories I noticed it is more about morals, and learning a lesson. As well as the spirits not being good or evil. While in stories about ghosts in western society they are usually one or the other. In the J-Horror stories revolve around a lot of death and spiritual themes. I know that some people find the J-horror stories very strange, but they are also eerily terrifying. The one samurai story, was actually very graphic and I did not expect that.  Western gothic's have many different themes compared to J-horror, especially compared to today's horror genre. But I can also see how these stories can be turned into very terrifying modern horror films.The film we watched in class, I believe it was called Pulse, was a perfect example, the suspense and the weirdness it had made it extra horrifying in my opinion. Then again I am very easily terrified. 

No comments:

Post a Comment