Monday, September 28, 2015

New Weird: Metamorphosis



For New Weird, I read, Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka. This is my second time reading this story, I once read it a long time ago in high school, and it was a story that always stuck with me. And Franz Kafka being a classic New Weird author, I decided to revisit it.


Gregor is an everyday salesmen working hard each day to make money to support his family. He is tired of his job and just wishes he could quit. One day he randomly turns into a bug. Leaving him stuck in his room and not able to communicate with his family, or move around easily for that matter. He ends up living as a bug, and his family financially takes a toll. The story follows his everyday life as an insect watching his family. Gregor eventually dies, and his family returns back to normal and relieved of the stress of taking care of Gregor.


At the point I was in my life when I first read this story I did not fully understand it. And even now, I don't know if I do, and I guess that is where the New Weird aspect comes into play. Being the soul supporter of his family, wanting a change in his life, a change suddenly happens, but probably not the change that was expected. The change results in how everyone was effected buy him not being around to take care of them. Which to me has a moral lesson.


I also started reading the book, Dead Bitch Army, for the New Weird genre, which I think encompasses a more modern take of the genre. It is more about zombies and war and messed up society, which I believe horror is going in the direction of.


I have never been a huge horror fan because I am easily scared. But now since I have opened my eyes more. I would like to see horror films going further than jump scares and gore. More well developed stories like we have read over the past few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment