Monday, November 9, 2015

Bloodchild

1. One symbol that stuck out the most to me was the egg. The egg was made out to be something that was very important. They would get "drunk" off the egg. Which could be a symbol of indulgence. Like how the mother never treated herself to the egg, how she always gave to her children, and that aged her. An egg represents youth. It is the first stage of life. It seems in the story as if the egg gives you youth and life. And because the mother did not indulge in the eggs, she grew older faster. The egg is also something that is treasured, how youth should be treasured.

2. The one part I connected to was the idea of the mother having to give one of her children away. I did not personally connect to this in the way that I was given away as a child or, that I have any happen that relates. But how family was a large role in this story. Gan had to set out and be brave to get things done. And everyone can relate to a part in their life that they had to suck it up and do something to make their family proud.

3. As a filmmaker when I read a story I can usually see it all play out in my head as a film as I read. I pictured something in my head that was like the hunger games. I would show a connection between Gan and his family. Then place in the idea of that he had to leave and be an adult. Connect the audience to Gan personally, so we all feel his fear. The character of Gan would be the character that pushes the film along. I would also up all the stakes, constantly throwing rocks at the main character so he has to push through for a good resolution. I think this story would have a cool film adaptation, especially the effects that would be used.

No comments:

Post a Comment